Marathon Products Neon Sign: Rare Vintage Collectible Petroliana – NS6626
This Extremely Rare, Double Sided Porcelain, Marathon Oil Products Sign From 1920’s, With Original Iron Hanging Bracket, Is A Genuine Piece Of History, And World Class Fine Art, Museum, Investment, And Iconic Centerpiece Quality Collectible Memorabilia
101 Point Neon And Electrical Restoration, Includes Neon Tubes Hand Blown And Bent By Our In-House Master Glass Blowers, Plus All New Wiring, Electrical Components, And Solid State Transformers, And To Top It All Off, Is Certified As World Class Fine Art With Award Winning Artist H.J. Nick’s Brass Tag, Signature Certification, This Certification Is Recognized By Major Insurance Companies, Experienced Collectors, And Investors Worldwide
Marathon Products Neon Sign: Rare Vintage Collectible Petroliana
This original round, Marathon Products neon sign is just one of hundreds of collectible automobilia and petroliana collectibles currently for sale from ArtFactory.com. This extra large, double sided, round, porcelain enamel sign measures 6 feet in height (at its tallest point), and is 61 inches in diameter. The sign is 4 1/2 inches thick, with neon and electrical components housed inside of the heavy metal sign. It is an original gas station, storefront, hanging style advertisement. An especially rare find, this Marathon Products neon sign still hangs from its original iron hanging bracket (as pictured) from the 1920's. This Marathon Products neon sign is just the type of item with genuine "WOW Factor", to impress your friends, family, clients, and other collectors. Furthermore, like all of the items we sell, it is an investment quality piece, with future appreciable value, that is both appraisable and insurable, and will add to your financial net worth.
This sign has a primarily green background, except in the center of the sign, which has a black background. The sign has two orange pinstripes that go around the sign face, with one of the orange stripes forming the border of the area with the black background, and the other forming a top border above the lettering on the sign that is between the two orange stripes. The sign reads "MARATHON" at the top, and "PRODUCTS" at the bottom in white lettering. There is a white graphic in the center of the sign of their trademark logo from that era, (Pheidippides, the Greek runner), and in small white lettering, “Best in the Long Run” their slogan from that era. The sign lights up in orange neon around the two orange pinstripes, and in green neon around the lettering "MARATHON/PRODUCTS". The Green Runner, Pheidippides, lights up in white neon, and (as pictured) has alternately flashing arms and legs to give the appearance of running. An item as rare, and unique as Marathon Products neon sign is truly, "a petroliana collector's dream", and a centerpiece type item for even the most serious collection.
Marathon Products Neon Sign Specifications
- Type: Double Sided Genuine Vintage Porcelain Enamel Sign
- Style: Round Gas Station Storefront Sign With Original Iron Hanging Bracket
- Company: Marathon Oil
- Product: Oil And Gasoline Products
- Era: 1920's
- Place Of Manufacture: U.S.A.
- Color: Green/Black/White/Orange
- Neon Color: Orange (Border Of Orange Stripes)/Green (Lettering "MARATHON/PRODUCTS")/White - FLASHING (Greek Runner)
- Dimensions: 6 Foot (72 Inches) At Tallest Point By 61 Inches In Diameter (4 1/2 Inches Deep With Electrical Components Housed In Sign)
- Condition: Original Genuine Porcelain Sign Not Restored Or Doctored (As-Pictured, See Photos For Details)
- Neon Details: All Neon And Solid State Transformers (AND SOLID STATE FLASHERS), Wiring Mounts, Switches, And Wires Have Been Replaced.
- Additional Features: Comes With ORIGINAL IRON HANGING BRACKET (Pictured)
- Neon Has Separate Toggle Pull Chord As Pictured So That The Sign Can Easily Be Switched On And Off Without Unplugging
- Certification: World Class Fine Art, Museum And Investment Quality, Bearing The Brass Tag Signature Certification Of Award Winning Artist H.J. Nick, Recognized By Collectors, Investors, And Insurers Worldwide
Watch Neon Sign Restorations Video
Watch Hanging Neon Signs Video
We Sell Vintage Porcelain Signs In Original, Unrestored Condition
Like all of our collectible signs, this Marathon neon sign is sold in original, unrestored condition as pictured. We do not believe in restoring old signs because it is our belief that every ding, dent, and blemish is part of the story and history of the item. The only exception being the 101 point, museum quality neon restoration, which is done under the supervision of, certified, and signed by award winning artist H.J. Nick as meeting all world class fine are qualifications. This certification means each item bearing his signature is backed by over 100 years of manufacturing world class fine art handmade furnishings, and restoring America's finest collectibles to original, museum quality condition. All neon restored by our in house glass blowers, who have blown new glass using the same techniques and materials that were used for the original neon. Also, any electrical parts including wiring and solid state transformers (and solid state flashers) have been replaced. The neon features a separate on/off toggle pull cord as pictured.
Marathon Products Neon Sign Additional Details
This vintage Marathon Products neon sign is original memorabilia from one of America's most iconic brands. We are a one-stop-shop when it comes to outfitting your man cave or game room. We can can outfit an entire gas station or automotive themed room for you, or help you find that one special item that has been missing from your collection. In addition to signs, we have vintage visible gas pumps, oil pumps, lubesters, and more that we have fully restored to working, museum quality condition. Our petroliana restorations are the best in the business because nobody has been doing it longer, or pays as much attention to detail.
Investment Quality Collectible Petroliana From ArtFactory.com
This rare vintage Marathon Products neon sign is the perfect conversation piece that will wow your friends and clients alike. Like all of our vintage collectible signs, it is guaranteed authentic, investment quality memorabilia. We specialize in those hard to find signs that serious collectors are looking for. All antique collectables offered are genuine memorabilia and appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us today for pricing on this collectible vintage Marathon Products neon sign or any of our collectible Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectibles at 1-800-292-0008.
ArtFactory.com & Award Winning Artist H.J. Nick Brass Tag Certification Details
The H.J. Nick Brass Tag Certification ensures each piece to be the genuine article. Backed by our over a century of experience, with our word is our bond reputation and guaranteeing or your money back “forever". The H.J. Nick Brass Tag Certification makes this item one of the highest appreciating, collectible investments that you can make. These items can be insured at stated value, usually on your home owners policy, for little added premium. Thus, making this a safer investment than even those insured by the FDIC, is much more fun to own, and puts you in control instead of the bank.
Marathon Oil Company And Logo History
Marathon Oil Corporation is an American petroleum refining, marketing, and transportation company. Marathon Oil Corporation's roots can be traced back to the Ohio Oil Company, which was founded in 1887. In 1930, the Ohio Oil Company was renamed "Marathon Oil Company" after it merged with several other oil companies. The "Running Man" logo was also introduced at this time, featuring a stylized figure running with a torch in hand. The Running Man logo has since become an iconic symbol of Marathon Gas. The runner is often depicted in the company's branding and marketing materials, and is closely associated with the company's name and history.
The exact origins of the Running Man logo are not clear, but it is believed to have been inspired by the Greek myth of Pheidippides, the soldier who is said to have run from Marathon to Athens to deliver news of a military victory. The torch that the Running Man holds may be a nod to the Olympic torch, which is also a symbol of Greek heritage. The story behind the Greek runner logo dates back to the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC, when the Greeks defeated the Persians in a historic battle. According to legend, a Greek soldier named Pheidippides ran from the battlefield to Athens, a distance of roughly 26 miles, to deliver news of the victory. Pheidippides is said to have collapsed and died from exhaustion after delivering the news, and his feat of endurance is considered the origin of the modern marathon race.
The logo features a stylized image of a runner in a pose similar to that of a sprinter at the starting line. The runner is often depicted in red or blue, and is sometimes shown against a white or yellow background. The Greek runner logo is intended to evoke the company's history, values, and commitment to endurance, perseverance, and hard work. The logo has become an iconic symbol associated with Marathon Oil, and is recognized by people around the world.
More Marathon Oil Corporation Logo History
The Marathon Oil Corporation logo has gone through several iterations since the company's founding in 1887 as The Ohio Oil Company. Here is a brief overview of the company's logo history:
- The early years: The Ohio Oil Company used several different logos in its early years, including a simple black-and-white design featuring the company name in block letters and an image of an oil derrick. Other early logos featured a globe or a winged horse, which became a popular symbol of the company.
- The 1930s: In the 1930s, The Ohio Oil Company changed its name to Marathon Oil Company and introduced a new logo featuring the name "Marathon" in bold, block letters with a distinctive "M" shape. This logo was often paired with the winged horse symbol.
- The 1960s: In the 1960s, Marathon Oil introduced a new logo featuring a stylized "M" shape with a red, white, and blue color scheme. This logo emphasized the company's American roots and patriotic values.
- The 1980s: In the 1980s, Marathon Oil updated its logo to a more modern and streamlined design featuring the company name in lowercase letters with a swoosh graphic that suggested energy and movement. This logo was often paired with a green or blue color scheme.
- The 2000s: In the early 2000s, Marathon Oil introduced a new logo featuring a stylized "M" shape with a red, white, and blue color scheme similar to the 1960s logo. This logo emphasized the company's history and continuity, while also suggesting innovation and forward momentum.
More Vintage Collectible Neon Gas Station Signs For Sale From ArtFactory.com
Marathon Products Neon Sign Info
When we use the terms "Museum Quality" and "Historically Correct," we are indicating our world-class process. We absolutely preserve all original signs, badges, glass with anomalies, natural aged patinas, and everything that makes a vintage item collectible. Maintaining non-structural damage, all age, wear, and tear is proudly displayed to showcase each item's unique charm.
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. Because most of our items have a waiting list, if you're looking for a specific collectible, please ask to be put on our first come, first served list (refundable deposit required).
We are the oldest and largest seller of fine art, historically correct, museum quality antiques and genuine, investment quality classic Americana.