National Benzole Gas Pump Globe: Vintage British Diesel “DERV” – VG6456
This Is An Extremely Rare, Early 1920’s, Original Milk Glass Gas Pump Top Light For National Benzole Co.’s “DERV” (Diesel Engine Road Vehicle) Fuel
At ArtFactory.com We Specialize In Those Hard To Find Items That The Serious Collectors Are After, This Nearly 100-Year-Old British Diesel Advert Is The Type Of Item That Rarely Comes Up For Sale Anywhere
National Benzole Gas Pump Globe: Vintage British Diesel "DERV"
This National Benzole gas pump globe is an original milk glass advertisement from the late 1920's for "DERV" (diesel engine road vehicle) fuel, and is one of the earliest known advertisements from the company to feature the "Mercury Head" logo, which was first introduced in 1928. It is just one, of hundreds of investment quality, vintage petroliana collectibles currently for sale at ArtFactory.com. This original, milk glass globe is a 3 dimensional keystone shape, and is ONE SOLID PIECE OF GLASS. It measures ??? inches at its tallest point by ??? inches at its widest point, and is ??? inches deep. It features an orange backgrounded panel, with black lettering and graphics, on both of the wider sides of the globe. Each sides has a National Benzole Co. "Mercury Head" logo, and reads "National Benzole Co. Ltd. DERV". The two smaller sides of the globe read "NATIONAL" in horizontal black, block style lettering. You can add this globe to any of our fully restored to museum quality vintage visible gas pumps, or purchase the globe separately to add to your existing pump.
National Benzole Gas Pump Globe Specifications
- Type: Original Milk Glass Gas Pump Top Globe Light (1 Solid Glass Piece)
- Shape: 3 Dimensional Keystone Shaped
- Company: National Benzole
- Logo: Mercury Head
- Product: DERV (Diesel Engine Road Vehicle) Fuel
- Era: Late 1920's
- Country Of Manufacture: United Kingdom
- Color: White/Black/Orange
- Dimensions: ??? Inches At Tallest Point By ??? Inches At Widest Point By ??? Inches Deep
- Condition: Original, As-Pictured, See Photos For Details - Not Restored, Not A Reproduction
Like all of our vintage gas station signs, this National Benzole gas pump globe is in original, unrestored condition, as pictured. This one is in amazing condition for its age, is free of chips and cracks, and still has very vibrantly colored artwork. We do not believe in restoring old globes and signs because it is our belief that any dings, dents, chips, cracks and blemishes are part of that item's unique history. Overall it is in Near Mint/Excellent condition with little or no visible blemishes of any kind. The only thing preventing this National Benzole Gas Pump globe from a perfect grade is some slight discoloration at the base of the globe (pictured). This is as close to a truly Near Mint condition item as you will find of this age.
National Benzole Gas Pump Globe Additional Details
All of our collectible petroliana advertisements are guaranteed to be authentic, original items. This guarantee is backed by over a century of experience in the antiques and collectibles marketplace. This National Benzole Gas Pump Globe is a piece of original memorabilia, from one of the United Kingdom's most iconic brands. We are a one-stop-shop when it comes to outfitting your man cave or game room. We can can outfit an entire gas station or automotive themed room for you, or help you find that one special item that has been missing from your collection. In addition to gas pump globes, we have vintage visible gas pumps, oil pumps, vintage neon signs, lubesters, and more, that we have fully restored to working, museum quality condition. Our petroliana restorations are the best in the business because nobody has been doing it longer, or pays as much attention to detail.
This genuine milk glass, vintage National Benzole Gas Pump Globe is just one of hundreds of original, collectible automobilia and petroliana items currently for sale at ArtFactory.com. Like all of our vintage collectible signs, it is guaranteed authentic, investment quality memorabilia. We specialize in those hard to find signs that serious collectors are looking for. All antique collectables offered are genuine memorabilia and appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us for pricing on this vintage National Benzole Pump Globe, or any of our collectible Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectables at 1-800-292-0008.
ArtFactory.com & Award Winning Artist H.J. Nick Brass Tag Certification Details
The H.J. Nick Brass Tag Certification ensures each piece to be the genuine article. Backed by our over a century of experience, with our word is our bond reputation and guaranteeing or your money back “forever". The H.J. Nick Brass Tag Certification makes this item one of the highest appreciating, collectible investments that you can make. These items can be insured at stated value, usually on your home owners policy, for little added premium. Thus, making this a safer investment than even those insured by the FDIC, is much more fun to own, and puts you in control instead of the bank.
What Is DERV Fuel?
DERV is a type of fuel that is used in on-road vehicles to keep fleets moving. DERV stands for Diesel Engine Road Vehicle, but the fuel is also known as white diesel or road diesel. DERV is most commonly used to power transport and passenger vehicles that have diesel engines, such as trains, lorries, vans and boats.
National Benzole Company History
The National Benzole Company was a prominent British petroleum company that operated from 1919 to the mid-1950s. Its history is closely intertwined with the development of the British oil industry and the rise of motor vehicles during the early 20th century. Here's an overview of its history:
1. Formation and Early Years: The National Benzole Company was formed in 1919 as a joint venture between the Distillers Company Limited (DCL) and the British Petroleum Company (BP). The primary objective of the company was to produce and market benzole, a byproduct of coal distillation, which could be blended with petrol (gasoline) to improve its performance.
2. Petrol Blending and National Benzole Mixture: During the 1920s and 1930s, National Benzole became well-known for its innovative approach to petrol blending. It produced a branded fuel known as "National Benzole Mixture," which was a blend of benzole and petrol, designed to increase octane levels and improve engine performance. This made National Benzole Mixture a popular choice among motorists.
3. Expansion and Acquisitions: Over time, the company expanded its operations and acquired several oil storage and distribution facilities. National Benzole's presence grew across the United Kingdom, and it became a significant player in the fuel retail sector.
4. Post-World War II Era: After World War II, there were significant changes in the British oil industry. The British government nationalized several key industries, including the coal and petroleum sectors. In 1948, the government formed the National Benzole (Marketing) Act, which led to the nationalization of the benzole blending and marketing operations. The National Benzole Company, along with other private companies in the sector, became part of the state-owned National Benzole (Marketing) Corporation (NBMC).
5. Demise and Legacy: As the demand for benzole declined, and with the advent of new refining processes and synthetic additives, the significance of National Benzole's operations waned. In the mid-1950s, the National Benzole (Marketing) Corporation was dissolved, and its assets and operations were integrated into other entities within the British oil industry.
Today, the name "National Benzole" is mostly associated with vintage petrol advertising and memorabilia, as the brand and its logo have nostalgic value among collectors and automotive enthusiasts.
About The National Benzole Mercury Head Logo
The National Benzole Mercury Head logo is one of the most iconic and recognizable logos associated with the National Benzole brand. It is distinctively characterized by a depiction of the Roman god Mercury, also known as Hermes in Greek mythology, with wings on his helmet. Here's a brief overview of the logo's history and significance:
1. Design and Origins: The Mercury Head logo was introduced in the late 1920's and quickly became the primary emblem for the National Benzole brand. It featured a profile illustration of the god Mercury with a winged helmet, symbolizing speed and movement. Mercury, the messenger of the gods in Roman mythology, was often associated with attributes such as swiftness and agility, making him a fitting symbol for a fuel company aiming to promote the performance benefits of its products.
2. National Benzole Mixture Connection: The Mercury Head logo was closely associated with National Benzole's flagship product, the "National Benzole Mixture," a fuel blend that combined benzole with petrol to enhance engine performance. The Mercury Head logo often appeared on fuel pumps, station signage, advertising materials, and promotional items related to the National Benzole Mixture.
3. Collector's Item: Due to its historical significance and popularity, the National Benzole Mercury Head logo has become a sought-after collector's item among enthusiasts of vintage petrol advertising and automotive memorabilia.
More Collectible Vintage Petoliana Signs For Sale From ArtFactory.com
National Benzole Gas Pump Globe Info
- All brass parts are solid polished original brass
- Rare collectors preferred original "Milk Glass" globe
- All sign-age is correct porcelain original era material (no fake foreign made parts or signs used)
- All internals have been polished and rebuilt
- Pump is in working order
- Backed by a century of fine craftsmanship since 1913
We are the oldest and largest restorer of fine art, museum quality, historically correct antiques, and supplier of genuine investment quality un-restored classic Americana (namely signs). Museum quality, historically correct means a world class restoration that preserves all original signs, badges, glass with anomalies, natural aged patina, ect. with non structural damage. All age wear and tear is proudly displayed, when possible, on signage and gas pump globes. Contact the Art Factory for information on restoring your antique gas pumps at 1-800-292-0008.