Vintage Esso Gas Sign: “Put A Tiger In Your Tank!” Pump Plate – VS6560
This 1960’s Era, Porcelain Enamel Advertisement For Esso Gas Features The Iconic Slogan “Put A Tiger In Your Tank”, Which Was First Introduced In 1959, And Was Among The Most Famous Oil Company Advertising Campaigns Of The Twentieth-Century; A Must-Have-Item For The Serious Petroliana Aficionado
We Have The Largest Selection Of Original, Investment Quality, Vintage Gas Station Signs For Sale Anywhere, And The World’s Largest (AIRPLANE HANGER SIZED) Man Cave On-Site At Our Scottsdale, Arizona Showroom: Pay Us A Visit; Tour Our Hundreds Of Rare Petroliana, Automobilia, And Americana Collectibles; And To Top It All Off, Every Item On Display Is Also For Sale
Vintage Esso Gas Sign: "Put A Tiger In Your Tank!" Pump Plate
This vintage Esso gas sign is an original gas pump belly plate advertisement from the 1960's. It is just one, of hundreds of original, investment quality petroliana items currently for sale at ArtFactory.com. This sign is round in shape, and has a white background, with a light blue stripe around the border. Across the bottom area of the sign, has a thick orange stripe cutting across the background. The top of the sign reads with the famous slogan "Put A Tiger In Your Tank!" in black lettering. The center area of the sign has a large graphic of the Esso Tiger Mascot standing with its arms crossed, wearing a hard hat. The tiger is cut off at the waist by the orange orange area which has a red/blue/white Esso logo in the center of the orange area. It is a single sided sign that measures 12 inches in diameter, and is an original gas station advertisement from the 1960's. This vintage Esso gas sign is an ideal piece for use as the belly plate sign on your Esso vintage gas pump restoration.
Vintage Esso Gas Sign Specifications
- Type: Genuine Vintage Porcelain Enamel Belly Plate Sign
- Shape: Round
- Sides: Single Sided
- Company: Esso
- Product: Gasoline
- Slogan: Put A Tiger In Your Tank
- Date Of Manufacture: 1960's
- Country Of Manufacture: U.S.A.
- Color: White/Orange/Blue/Black
- Dimensions: 12 Inches Diameter
- Condition: Original, Unrestored As-Pictured, See Photos For Details
Vintage Esso Gas Sign Additional Details
Like all of our vintage porcelain and tin litho signs, this vintage Esso gas sign is in original, unrestored condition, as pictured. We sell all of our original petroliana advertising in unrestored condition because it is our belief that each blemish is part of the unique history of that item. This sign is in Excellent/Very Good Plus (Exl/VG+) condition overall, with only the wear around the hanging grommet areas being of any significance (this includes chipping to the enamel and discoloration from where the sign was originally hung, as pictured). There are also few very small chips around the very edges of the sign, which is the most common type of blemish found on these older porcelain signs. The sign face lettering and graphics are all very clean, and this is likely to be one of the nicest examples of this now over 60-year-old sign as you will find for sale. This vintage Esso gas sign, and all of our signs are guaranteed to be authentic, backed by over a century of experience in the antiques and collectibles marketplace. This sign is original memorabilia from one of America's most iconic brands. We are a one stop shop when it comes to outfitting your man cave or game room. We can can outfit an entire gas station or automotive themed room for you, or help you find that one special item that has been missing from your collection. In addition to signs, we have vintage visible gas pumps, oil pumps, lubesters, and more, that we have fully restored to working, museum quality condition. Our petroliana restorations are the best in the business because nobody has been doing it longer, or pays as much attention to detail.
This rare vintage Esso gas sign is the perfect conversation piece that will wow your friends and clients alike. It can be hung or displayed as a stand alone piece, or used as part of your vintage gas pump restoration project. Upon request, we can restore any vintage gas pump with a period correct, Esso gas color scheme. These world class fine art restorations include original signage, such as this belly plate, and original pump top lighted milk glass globes when applicable. Like all of our vintage collectible signs, this vintage Esso gas sign is guaranteed authentic, investment quality memorabilia. We specialize in those hard to find signs that serious collectors are looking for. All antique collectibles offered are genuine memorabilia and appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All items are fine collectible art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us for pricing on this original vintage Esso gas sign, or any of our collectible Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectibles at 1-800-292-0008.
History Of The Esso (Exxon/Mobil) "Put A Tiger In Your Tank Slogan!"
The "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" slogan is one of the most iconic advertising campaigns in the history of the petroleum industry and was used by Esso (now ExxonMobil) to promote their gasoline products. Here's a brief history of the slogan:
- Introduction of the Slogan (1959): The "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" slogan was introduced by Esso in 1959 as part of a marketing campaign to differentiate their gasoline from competitors. At the time, the gasoline market was highly competitive, and companies were looking for ways to stand out.
- The Tiger Symbol: Esso's campaign featured a playful and memorable tiger as its mascot. The idea was to associate the tiger's energy, strength, and vitality with their gasoline, suggesting that using Esso's product would give your car more power and performance.
- Impactful Advertising: The "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" campaign was not just about print advertising; it also included television and radio commercials. These advertisements often featured catchy jingles and animated tigers, which further embedded the slogan in the public's consciousness.
- Pop Culture Phenomenon: The slogan quickly became a pop culture phenomenon in the United States. It was so successful that it led to various merchandise and promotional materials featuring the tiger mascot, including stuffed tigers, stickers, and other memorabilia.
- Global Expansion: The success of the campaign in the United States led Esso to expand it globally. In many countries, the "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" slogan was adapted and translated, making it a truly international marketing success.
- Longevity and Legacy: The campaign's longevity was remarkable. It continued for several decades, with variations and updates to keep it fresh. Even after Esso changed its name to Exxon in the early 1970s, the slogan remained in use.
- End of the Campaign: The campaign eventually ended in the late 20th century as Exxon shifted its marketing strategies. However, the "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" slogan remains a memorable and enduring part of advertising history.
- Legacy and Nostalgia: Esso's "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" campaign,, was a highly successful and memorable marketing effort that used the image of a tiger to associate their gasoline with energy and power. It became a pop culture phenomenon and is still remembered today as one of the most iconic advertising slogans in history. The slogan and the tiger mascot are still remembered fondly by those who grew up with the campaign. It is often cited as an example of effective and iconic advertising that left a lasting impression.
More Vintage Collectible Gas Station Signs For Sale From ArtFactory.com
Vintage Esso Gas Sign Info
When we use the terms "Museum Quality" and "Historically Correct," we are indicating our world-class process. We absolutely preserve all original signs, badges, glass with anomalies, natural aged patinas, and everything that makes a vintage item collectible. Maintaining non-structural damage, all age, wear, and tear is proudly displayed to showcase each item's unique charm.
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. Because most of our items have a waiting list, if you're looking for a specific collectible, please ask to be put on our first come, first served list (refundable deposit required).
We are the oldest and largest seller of fine art, historically correct, museum quality antiques and genuine, investment quality classic Americana.