Vintage Good Gulf Sign: Original Collectible Gas Station Petroliana – VS6329
This Is An Original, Round Porcelain, Good Gulf, Gas Pump Belly Plate Sign From 1955, And It Is Just One Of Hundreds Of Vintage Petroliana And Automobilia Collectibles Currently For Sale At ArtFactory.com
In Addition To Original Condition Porcelain And Tin Litho Signs, We Also Have Vintage Visible Gas Pumps Fully Restored To Fine Art, Museum Quality Standards By Award Winning Artist H.J. Nick, Neon Signs (With Fully Rebuilt Electrical And Hand Blown Neon), And Even Classic Cars
Vintage Good Gulf Sign: Original Collectible Gas Station Petroliana
This vintage Good Gulf sign is an original porcelain, gas pump belly plate advertisement from the 1950's. This sign is round in shape, has a white background with a navy blue outline, and reads "GOOD" in orange lettering, and "GULF" in navy blue lettering. It is dated as being manufactured in 1955 on the back of the sign. It is a single sided sign that measures 10 1/2 inches in diameter. It is an ideal size for display as it is large enough to be eye catching, but small enough to not take up too much of your wall space. Advertising from the Gulf Oil company highly collector coveted. It is in original, unrestored condition and although it has some very light wear (mostly on the back), it is in excellent condition for an over 60-year-old item. We sell all of our original petroliana advertising in unrestored condition because it is our belief that each blemish is part of the unique history of that item.
Vintage Good Gulf Sign Specifications
- Type: Genuine Vintage Porcelain Enamel Belly Plate Sign
- Shape: Round
- Sides: Single Sided
- Company: Gulf Oil
- Product: Gasoline
- Date Of Manufacture: 1955
- Country Of Manufacture: U.S.A.
- Color: White/Navy Blue/Orange
- Dimensions: 10 1/2 Inches Diameter
- Condition: Original, As-Is, See Photos For Details
Vintage Good Gulf Sign Additional Details
This rare, vintage Good Gulf sign, and all of our signs are guaranteed to be authentic, backed by over a century of experience in the antiques and collectibles marketplace. This sign is original memorabilia from one of America's most iconic brands. We are a one stop shop when it comes to outfitting your man cave or game room. We can can outfit an entire gas station or automotive themed room for you, or help you find that one special item that has been missing from your collection. In addition to signs, we have vintage visible gas pumps, oil pumps, lubesters, and more, that we have fully restored to working, museum quality condition. Our petroliana restorations are the best in the business because nobody has been doing it longer, or pays as much attention to detail.
This vintage Good Gulf sign is the perfect conversation piece that will wow your friends and clients alike. Like all of our vintage collectible signs, it is guaranteed authentic, investment quality memorabilia. We specialize in those hard to find signs that serious collectors are looking for. All antique collectables offered are genuine memorabilia and appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All items are fine collectable art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us for pricing on this vintage Good Gulf sign, or any of our collectible Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectables at 1-800-292-0008.
Gulf Oil Company History
Gulf Oil was a major global oil company from 1901 until March 15, 1985. The eighth-largest American manufacturing company in 1941 and the ninth-largest in 1979, Gulf Oil was one of the so-called Seven Sisters oil companies. Prior to its merger with Standard Oil of California, Gulf was one of the chief instruments of the Mellon family fortune; both Gulf and Mellon Financial had their headquarters in Pittsburgh.
Gulf's former headquarters, originally referred to as "the Gulf Building" (now the Gulf Tower office condos), is an Art Deco skyscraper. The tallest building in Pittsburgh until 1970, when it was eclipsed by the U.S. Steel Tower, it is capped by a step pyramid structure several stories high. Until 1973, the entire top was illuminated, changing color with changes in barometric pressure to provide a weather indicator that could be seen for many miles. After 1973 until the 2000s, only a beacon on top would change colors.
Read More At: Gulf Oil On Wikipedia
History And Collectibility Of Gulf Oil Signs
Gulf Oil signs, often recognized by their distinctive orange and blue color scheme, have become iconic symbols in the world of petroleum and automotive culture. These signs were typically used at Gulf-branded gasoline stations and other Gulf Oil-related facilities. The Gulf Oil signs have taken different forms over the years, but some of the most well-known types include:
- Gulf Disc Sign: This is perhaps the most recognizable Gulf sign. It features a circular disc with the word "Gulf" in bold blue letters against an orange background. This design has been a consistent element of the Gulf brand's identity.
- Gulf Gasoline Pump Sign: This sign was often placed on top of gasoline pumps at Gulf-branded stations. It typically featured the word "Gulf" along with a representation of the Gulf logo and the wording "Gasoline" or "Gas."
- Gulf Oil Company Logo Sign: Some signs displayed the full Gulf Oil Company logo, which included the circular disc with the word "Gulf" and additional elements such as the word "Oil Company" or other brand-related information.
- Vintage Gulf Signs: Over the years, Gulf has used various vintage signs that evoke a sense of nostalgia. These signs often feature retro designs and elements reminiscent of earlier decades.
- Neon Gulf Signs: Neon signs with the Gulf logo and name have been used to attract attention, especially during the night. These signs combine the iconic colors with the eye-catching glow of neon lighting.
- Advertising Signs: Gulf also produced various advertising signs that promoted specific products or services, such as Gulfpride motor oil or other lubricants.
More Vintage Collectible Gas Station Signs For Sale From ArtFactory.com
Vintage Good Gulf Sign Info
When we use the terms "Museum Quality" and "Historically Correct," we are indicating our world-class process. We absolutely preserve all original signs, badges, glass with anomalies, natural aged patinas, and everything that makes a vintage item collectible. Maintaining non-structural damage, all age, wear, and tear is proudly displayed to showcase each item's unique charm.
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. Because most of our items have a waiting list, if you're looking for a specific collectible, please ask to be put on our first come, first served list (refundable deposit required).
We are the oldest and largest seller of fine art, historically correct, museum quality antiques and genuine, investment quality classic Americana.