Vintage McColl-Frontenac Sign: Original 1933 Canadian Petroliana – VS6568
This Original Porcelain Sign From The 1930’s Is Just One Of Dozens Of Unique, Rare Petroliana And Gas Station Signs Currently For Sale At ArtFactory.com; We Are A One-Stop-Shop For Outfitting Your Vintage Service And Filling Station Themed Man Cave
We Have Collectible Memorabilia From All Of The Brands The Serious Collectors Are After, Including Not Only Major Brands Like Texaco, Sinclair And Standard, But Also Rare And Unique Brands Such As McColl-Frontenac; In Addition To Signs, We Also Have Vintage Visible Gas Pumps That We Have Restored To Original, Working, Museum Quality Condition, Our Vintage Petroliana Restorations Are The Best In The Business Due To Our Commitment To Originality And Attention To Detail
Vintage McColl-Frontenac Sign: Original 1933 Canadian Petroliana
This original vintage McColl-Frontenac sign from the 1930's, is just one of hundreds of collectible automobilia and petroliana collectibles currently for sale from ArtFactory.com. This round shaped, genuine vintage porcelain enamel sign measures 12 inches in diameter. It is a porcelain gas pump belly plate featuring an advertisement for their New Power Gun used for applying their chassis lubrication products. It has a white background with a black outlined letter "C" shape that goes around most of the border of the sign except for the opening of the "C". The sign reads "McColl-Frontenac" at the top and "Red Indian" at the bottom, both in black, block style lettering, and both within the borders of the 'C". Just outside the border of the "C", in red block style lettering are the words "Proper Lubricants" at the top, and "Correctly Applied" at the bottom. The center of the sign features a red and black graphic of a Native American Chief in a feather headdress. The far right of the sign, inside the opening of the "C", reads "New Power Gun! For Lubrication Of Chassis Pressure Connections" in black lettering. The manufacture information "Villas Enamel, Quebec, Canada, 1933" is in small black lettering in the center of the sign.
Vintage McColl-Frontenac Sign Specifications
- Type: Genuine Vintage Porcelain Enamel Belly Plate Sign
- Shape: Round
- Sides: Single Sided
- Company: McColl-Frontenac
- Product: Gas Pump Belly Plate Sign With Advertisement For New Power Gun For Use With Their Chassis Lubrication Products For Improved Application
- Slogan: Proper Lubricants Correctly Applied
- Manufacture: Villas Enamel
- Date Of Manufacture: 1933
- Place And Country Of Manufacture: Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
- Color: White/Red/Black
- Dimensions: 12 Inches Diameter
- Condition: Original, Unrestored As-Pictured, See Photos For Details
Vintage McColl-Frontenac Sign Additional Details
This vintage McColl-Frontenac sign, and all of our signs are guaranteed to be authentic, backed by over a century of experience in the antiques and collectibles marketplace. Like all of our vintage porcelain and tin litho signs, it is sold in original, unrestored condition, as pictured. We do not believe in restoring old signs because it is our belief, and also the prevailing belief in the collector community that any dings, dents, or blemishes are part of that item's unique history. This vintage McColl-Frontenac sign has a few small chips around the edges, and some discoloration and light wear around the grommet areas. Otherwise, it is very clean example of this now over 90-year-old sign, especially in any areas with graphics and lettering. The sign is in Excellent Plus (Exl+) condition overall. This sign is also free from any of the large dings associated with damage from wind blow objects. This vintage McColl-Frontenac sign is original memorabilia from one of Canada's most iconic brands. We are a one-stop-shop when it comes to outfitting your man cave or game room. We can can outfit an entire auto dealership, or gas station themed room for you, or help you find that one special item that has been missing from your collection. In addition to signs, we have vintage visible gas pumps, oil pumps, lubesters, and more, that we have fully restored to working, museum quality condition. Our automobilia and petroliana restorations are the best in the business because nobody has been doing it longer, or pays as much attention to detail.
This rare, original 1930's vintage McColl-Frontenac sign is the perfect conversation piece that will wow your friends and clients alike. Like all of our vintage collectible signs, it is guaranteed authentic, investment quality memorabilia. We specialize in those hard to find signs that serious collectors are looking for. All antique collectables offered are genuine memorabilia and appreciable assets, not fake reproductions. All items are fine collectible art at the highest world class collector level. Contact us for pricing on this vintage McColl-Frontenac sign, or any of our collectible Americana, antique signs, old gas pumps, and classic collectibles at 1-800-292-0008.
History Of The McColl-Frontenac Oil Company
The McColl-Frontenac Oil Company was a Canadian petroleum company with a significant presence in the early to mid-20th century. Here's an overview of its history:
1. Formation and Early Years (1882-1919): The company's origins can be traced back to 1882 when William G. Gooderham and Albert E. Gooderham founded the Gooderham & Worts distillery in Toronto, Canada. They began producing alcohol for industrial and automotive uses, and in 1900, they established the Canadian Gasoline Company. This company later became the McColl-Frontenac Oil Company.
2. Renaming to McColl-Frontenac (1919): In 1919, the Canadian Gasoline Company underwent a name change and became known as the McColl-Frontenac Oil Company. The name "Frontenac" was chosen to pay tribute to Louis de Buade, Comte de Frontenac, who was a governor of New France in the late 17th century.
3. Expansion and Growth (1919-1950s): Under the name McColl-Frontenac, the company expanded its operations across Canada. It entered the petroleum market and began producing gasoline and other petroleum products. During this period, it established a network of service stations and distribution centers. The McColl-Frontenac brand became well-known and recognized for its red, white, and green logo.
4. Acquisition by Texaco (1959): In 1959, McColl-Frontenac Oil Company was acquired by the American oil giant Texaco, which was seeking to expand its presence in the Canadian market. Following the acquisition, Texaco continued to operate some service stations under the McColl-Frontenac brand for a time, but eventually, the McColl-Frontenac brand was phased out in favor of Texaco branding.
5. Legacy: The McColl-Frontenac brand, while no longer in use, remains a part of Canadian petroleum history and is remembered by those who grew up during the era when it was a prominent player in the Canadian oil industry. It represents a time when Canada had several regional oil companies before being consolidated into larger international corporations.
More Vintage Collectible Gas Station Signs For Sale From ArtFactory.com
Vintage McColl-Frontenac Sign Info
When we use the terms "Museum Quality" and "Historically Correct," we are indicating our world-class process. We absolutely preserve all original signs, badges, glass with anomalies, natural aged patinas, and everything that makes a vintage item collectible. Maintaining non-structural damage, all age, wear, and tear is proudly displayed to showcase each item's unique charm.
Due to our earned reputation, we have the good fortune to be in high demand by collectors. Because most of our items have a waiting list, if you're looking for a specific collectible, please ask to be put on our first come, first served list (refundable deposit required).
We are the oldest and largest seller of fine art, historically correct, museum quality antiques and genuine, investment quality classic Americana.